Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Storage solutions (non-plastic)

  1. #1
    Inactive Member drgrimsley's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2003
    Posts
    109
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I responded to this topic on another thread but I thought it might be a good idea to start a new one specifically about storage ideas since we have been discussing the harm that plastic bags/containers can potentially cause to our doll clothes.
    Here's my idea:
    I'm thinking about getting a wire cube set from Target or Staples to store the clothes in. Here is the link:

    http://www.staples.com/Catalog/Brows...e=1&Sku=438145

    Does anyone have one of these wire cube sets? I think I could probably hang a lot of the clothes, hanging down from the top of the cube, and also store shoes and accessories. I'm also going to save up to buy a trunk but that might take awhile. If anyone has one of these wire cube things let me know if you think it will work for storing doll clothes.

  2. #2
    Inactive Member drgrimsley's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2003
    Posts
    109
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    P.S. I'm pretty sure they also sell the wire cubes at Target but I couldn't find them on their website.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member horsemom's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 18th, 2003
    Posts
    649
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I use one of those cloth sweater organizers for the closet. The kind that are sturdy cloth shelves and hang from the closet pole nearly to the floor. I just store the dresses stacked flat (or if they're long like Felicity's, folded) with hats and other accessories folded and stacked in there too. It will comfortably fit 3-4 historical dolls' wardrobes. The one I bought was only $5 and is designed so that it breathes but doesn't let dust in. I fashioned a cloth cover for the front of it so the doll clothes are totally enclosed. I store shoes separately- each doll has her own wooden or metal shoe box (that are all antique boxes I had lying around) for all her shoes.

    I think the wire cage is a good idea if you want to hang the clothes- you could even suspend dowels across the cage to hang them in a row like a closet. I keep all my hangers, but I don't really like to hang them. I like to mess with the velcro as few times as possible to keep it new and I hated how Felicity's gowns and all the skirts kept falling off the hangers. I never had tried plastic bags or boxes. I used to store the clothes in the cardboard boxes and garment bags they came in but the garment bags got beat up after years of use and the pleathora of boxes and bags took up a ton of room to store. Now I can keep the entire wardrobe in just one 1' wide space in the closet and a few small boxes for the shoes. Such a relief to get rid of the million boxes and bags- and I can now easily see a whole doll's wardrobe without opening and closing all those boxes!

  4. #4
    Inactive Member spiritik's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 21st, 2003
    Posts
    64
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Target does have the wire cubes in the stores. We bought some last year and used them to build guinea pig cages. I think that they would also work to store doll clothes.

    horsemom, I also like your idea of the cloth sweater shelves.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member bekeating's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 29th, 2002
    Posts
    82
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    My girls use the wire storage cubes from Target to hang their clothes in. The hangers fit through the 'holes' in the cubes so you can hang lots front to back in the cubes.....never thought of hanging them side to side probably would work better to see them. We have their cubes stacked in their closets so they don't get dusty. I also lined a couple of the cubes with muslin pieces and divided them with another piece of the wire side attached with cable ties (so the cube is essentially split in half into two shorter sections). This they can use for accessories likes shoes and such.

    Bonnie

  6. #6
    Inactive Member EmilyStrange's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 23rd, 2002
    Posts
    146
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    I really like the idea of the cubes! Thanks for posting.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •